July 28, 2010

Ready to leave

I can now send a post from my cell phone. I am unsure what kind of internet connection I will have in Switzerland and being able to post from my cell will allow me to at least post results as soon as they happen.
I will be wrestling at 9:00 am on Saturday Switzerland time, which is about 2:00 am Central (Chicago) time, so I doubt people will be on the edge of their seats anyway.

For the third night in a row I was up at the 3:00 hour. Last night I got up for an hour and got some work done and then went to bed. Today I will be staying up. This might help in getting me acclimated faster to the time change. I woke up only 1.5 over.

For the first time in a week I wrestled a bit yesterday with Champ. It felt good. I bit of a twinge here and there, but otherwise O.K. I will be changing my stance a bit and attacking with my non-dominant leg more in this competition but I am not worried about failure because of it. I was worried about what it would feel like when I wrestled, but now I know that I can handle it.

USA Wrestling (www.themat.com) posted a pre-competition article of the Veteran's Worlds with participants. My name comes up twice in it. They have me listed at "Robert Porter" from "Elmhurst." I wrote them to change it from Rob Porter from Naperville. I've only been to Elmhurst a couple of times in my life and would have to look it up on a map to find it.

As I prepare to leave today (leaving the house at 11 this morning) I am reminded about how many people helped me in this effort - too many to list all out. There are some special people who really went the extra mile. First, my family. Dena, my wife, has been a Godsend. Beside putting up with my crabbiness with soreness, injury, cutting, etc., she has helped with preparing good food, watching Tommy while I trained, and encouragement. Tommy (son, age 6) is giving up seeing mommy and daddy for 8 days. He is vacationing with his uncle Brett. Speaking of Brett, he and his wife Denese, helped with training while working my wrestling camp and taking Tommy. Tom Champion, coach at North, basically saved me. I owe a lot to him with his help of my training. Josh Tardy has motivated me with lifting. Anne Falk has given me three awesome massages. She has been wonderful for the body and mind. Her husband Josh has been a great source of advice for me. Michael Pesola, a neighbor and expert massage therapist has been extremely helpful in his advise of my training. Jim Innocenti is driving us to the airport. My parents are driving all the way to Naperville to pick us up so we can see Tommy sooner. That, and their encouragement has helped as well. Dr. Quoc Gaing, always a friend, helped with getting me back on my feet with his treatment. All the folks at Turner Medicine with the physical therapy, especially Dr. Kris have been fantastic. Jim Graeber has loaned me the family anyadyne for my sore muscles and that has been a huge help. Luke Cherep has helped with being a great workout partner. Michael Tuck has help from afar with encouragement. I know I forgot some important people. Thanks to all! I'll do my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment