July 24, 2010

Switzerland Training

One week to go until the competition. I am competing in the 2010 Veteran's Freestyle World Championships in Domdidier, Switzerland.
I will be wrestling in the C division (40-46 years old) at 63kg (138.75). We leave on Wednesday, July 28 from O'Hare, Arrive in the morning of the 29th at Zurich (with one stop). I weigh in on July 30th at around 4:00 Switzerland time. My competition will start at 9:00 July 31st. Since Switzerland is 7 hours ahead of Central time, that will be about 2:00 in the morning here. I will definitely need to get acclimated to the time there as soon as possible.

Each weight class is competed on the same day, so all of my matches will be on that Saturday. I don't have any idea how many wrestlers will be in my bracket. My prediction is 10 give or take 4 (as much as 14, as few as 6), although I could be wrong. There is another wrestler from the United States, Jamie Kasser, who I know will be there, otherwise I don't know any of my opponents.

It is basically single elimination, so presumably I could wrestle one match and be out. Losers can only be pulled back in if they lose to a finalist. So, making the semifinals is critical. I plan on making the finals so I don't have to worry about it.

My training has been going pretty well with one major setback. After winning Nationals at the end of April, I have continued my training through May, June, and July. I have logged over 300 miles of running. I have been lifting 3 times per week and I am up to 180 pounds 10 times on bench. I have been wrestling when I can, but that has been limited by the partners that I can find. I also started Bikram Yoga which I find to be very difficult, but worthwhile.

The setback happened Tuesday. I suffered a sprained MCL in my knee. With a week and a half to go to the competition, I have been aggressive in rehabbing it. Hopefully I'll be 100% or close come the day of the competition. It is feeling a bit better every day. This setback has eliminated running and wrestling this week in an effort get closer to full go.

Today after Yoga I weighed in 138.4, below my weigh-in weight. That was some good news as I have been worried about my weight with my limits on training. My goal is to wake up at 2 over on Wednesday morning and take it from there. Tomorrow (Sunday) I plan on hitting the stationary bike once again and some elliptical. On Monday I am going to lift weights and get in another session of Yoga. Not sure what I am going to do on Tuesday. I might get in one more session of Yoga on Wednesday before we leave.

1 comment:

  1. Yoga sounds like a great compliment to your current training. I am sure the knee will be ready when you are. Looking forward to the updates, this will be great for us to keep an eye on you.

    ReplyDelete